Wednesday, May 7, 2014

J.'s Thoughts On Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

As we have already mentioned today, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are due to be released this November, and nobody is more excited than I am.  As a kid, I was super pumped when the original Ruby and Sapphire came out for the GameBoy Advance.  I always wanted to get Emerald, too, but that didn't happen until fairly recently.  Hey, I'm a bit slow (and a bit poor), but at least I bought it eventually.


As a die-hard Pokémon fan, this box art made my kid mouth drool like there was no tomorrow.  The legendaries themselves are probably some of my favorites, even to this day.  It's such a perfect concept.  Master of the Earth, Master of the Sea, and Master of the Sky.  Genius!


Aesthetically, I found the series pleasing, too.  The ecosystem of Hoenn is vast, ranging from volcanic mountaintops to deep undersea trenches, and everything in between.  The games' visuals themselves were a vast improvement from their predecessors - Gold, Silver, and Crystal for the GameBoy Color.  It was only logical to take the series one step further and put them on the GameBoy Advance.  Additionally, the trio added in new concepts, such as natures and abilities, which made older Pokémon suddenly seem new and fresh.

That being said, a lot of older Pokémon were missing and unattainable using the cartridges alone, though this was somewhat rectified by using the Nintendo GameCube's Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness discs, and the later Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen titles for the GameBoy Advance.  A lot of fans found the lack of backwards compatibility to be frustrating and a slap in the face.  But, let's face it.  Technology had advanced too far too fast, and the older Pokémon titles were left in the dust.

As for these remakes, there are a number of things I'm expecting.  First of all, this "spectacular new world" The Pokémon Company is talking about is most likely a remastered version of Hoenn.  I doubt they would change the location of the plot.  But, if they do the same justice to these games that they gave to HeartGold and SoulSilver (which looked fantastic), I'm sure it'll work out just fine.

During the X/Y leak explosion, pictures of Mega Latias and Mega Latios were revealed.  I think that it is likely they will make their debut in these games.  As for changed stats, Mega Latios will likely gain a huge stat boost in Sp. Attack and Speed, where Mega Latias might take a more defensive route with Defense and Sp. Defense boosts.  Don't quote me on this, though.  I also thought that Delphox wouldn't have such a disappointing design, but alas... we are stuck with the weird, bipedal fire fox of... whatever the hell it is.

The differing aesthetics for Kyogre and Groudon might have some thinking that we'll see some Mega Evolutions for them, but I'm not so convinced yet.  The artwork simply lights up the markings on their bodies, and there are no other differing features that would hint at a Mega Evolution for them.  Besides, it's not like Kyogre needs more power anyway.  I'm willing to make an exception for Rayquaza, though.  Since it is more powerful in the lore of Hoenn, it might take to the skies with a new weapon to engage the raging Kyogre and Groudon once again.

I also think we can expect to see Mega Evolutions for Sceptile and Swampert, as Blaziken already gained one in X/Y.  Sceptile might become a Grass/Dragon type with the ability Tinted Lens (because it's a ninja!), and a big boost to its Sp. Attack and Speed, as well as a boost to its good Attack stat.  Swampert will probably take a more tankish role, retaining its great Water/Ground typing, gaining a big boost to its Attack, Defense, and Sp. Defense, and a new ability in either Sheer Force or Hydration.  Don't take what I say as the truth.  It's likely far from it.  These are just my opinions, and everyone will have differing ones.

What do you expect to see in this brand new adventure in Hoenn?  Let me know in the comments!  I'd love to hear some speculation.

- J.



No comments:

Post a Comment